Skip to content

Veterans Affairs

Federal agencies, like the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), are here to serve you. If you encounter difficulty with your access to federal benefits or programs, it is one of my highest honors to be able to help you cut through the red tape.

The following are examples of some typical requests for assistance that my office receives: 

VA Benefits

My office can request the status of your pending claim or appeal. If you meet the VA’s criteria for expedited processing, my staff can assist to bring forward that request. We can also assist if you are experiencing difficulty accessing other benefits / programming, including HUD-VASH housing, vocational assistance, VA home loans, and more.

Military Records

My office can assist with requests to obtain military service and medical records from the Department of Defense and the National Personnel Records Center. 

Medal Requests

My office can help you request a replacement set of service medals and awards for yourself or a loved one. We can also assist in requesting retroactive award of medals, provided that supporting documentation is available.

VA Healthcare

My office can assist with concerns regarding VA Healthcare, such as eligibility, access to services, the VA Community Care program, unexpected billings for VA care, and more.


If you are active duty military, a military veteran, or family member of a veteran that is having any other difficulty with the VA or other federal agency, I welcome the opportunity to work on your behalf.

Limitations to Assistance

Though my office is able to be of assistance on a variety of matters, there are limitations as to the type of assistance that a U.S. Senate office can provide. 

For example, my office is unable to provide legal assistance. If you are seeking legal assistance, you may wish to contact the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Lawyer Referral and Information ServiceLegal Action of Wisconsin, or Judicare.  

Also, while my office can assist with matters under the jurisdiction of a  federal agency, I do not have jurisdiction over the State of Wisconsin or its agencies, like the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs or the Wisconsin State Veterans Homes. For matters related to state agencies, you may wish to contact your state legislators for further assistance.