Skip to content

Taxes & IRS

My office can work to be of assistance with matters pending before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including but not limited to delays in processing of federal tax returns, disagreements with changes made to tax returns by the IRS, and penalty abatement.  

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that works to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and understands their rights.  Information about the TAS and how to connect with them directly can be found here: and  The TAS also acts as a liaison to the IRS for Congressional offices like mine when assisting constituents that are experiencing difficulties with the IRS.  

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused significant delays in the processing of federal tax returns filed both electronically and by mail.  According to the IRS, it is working through an unprecedented backlog of millions of pending returns.  I have heard from many constituents who have been waiting months for the processing and release of due tax refunds, and I regret the frustration and economic hardship that these delays cause.

Once the IRS receives a return and enters it into its system, it may take 90 days or longer to be processed.  If after 90 days from submitting your tax return you still have not received release of refund payment, my office is able to open a case with the TAS on your behalf. You can check the status of your refund by visiting the IRS’s website herePlease note, the Taxpayer Advocate is not accepting cases for tax year 2022 returns until after March 22, 2023

Though my office is able to be of assistance on a variety of matters pending before the IRS, there are limitations as to the type of assistance that a US Senate office can provide. 

For example, my office is unable to provide legal assistance or give tax advice.  Also, although my office can assist with any federal agency, as a federal legislative office I do not have jurisdiction over the State of Wisconsin or its agencies, like the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR).  

For matters related to the WI DOR, you may wish to contact your state legislators for further assistance.  

If you feel that my office may be of assistance to you regarding your concerns with the IRS, I welcome the opportunity to work on your behalf.