Skip to content


As Americans are getting vaccinated and beginning to plan well-deserved vacations, the Department of State has seen a substantial increase in the number of passport applications and appointment requests received across the country. Unfortunately, due to an unprecedented backlog of passport applications, the U.S. Passport Agency has had to extend processing times to reflect this increase in demand for passports.

The processing time for passport service, as established by the National Passport Agency, is currently up to 7 weeks for expedited service and up to 11 weeks for routine service. For more information from the National Passport Agency regarding processing times, click here. Also, you may check the status of your passport application, here (please note that it may take up to 4 weeks for your passport application to register as “in process” with the passport U.S. Passport Agency).

My office is currently only able to provide passport assistance to constituents whose applications are pending past 12 weeks with expedited service or 18 weeks with routine service, and/ or those whose travel is necessary due to circumstances of dire need.  Dire need circumstances may include family emergency (such as grave / terminal illness), employment (including travel for studies / research), and permanent relocation.  At this time, I am only able to submit an inquiry to the Passport Agency if your application is outside stated processing times and/or if your situation fits the dire need criteria.  

If you wish to request to upgrade to expedited passport service or express mailing with the U.S. Passport Agency, you may do so by calling the National Passport Information Center at (877) 498-2778. This may speed up processing time. You may also call the National Passport Information Center for assistance with scheduling a last minute, in-person passport appointment. More information about these appointments can be found here

If your application has fallen outside of the above processing times or meets the above dire need criteria, I will be able to submit a congressional inquiry on your behalf.