- For resources on tax filing, please visit: https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/News/2020/wi-covid-19.aspx and https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
- Both the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the State of Wisconsin Department of Revenue have extended the 2019 tax filing deadline for individuals and businesses to July 15, 2020. Individuals and businesses will also have until July 15, 2020 to pay the IRS if they owe additional income tax for 2019. Individuals and small businesses will be able to defer most payments to the IRS without incurring interest or penalties.
- Note the Department of the Treasury and IRS have announced the tax filing and payment deadline of July 15 will not be postponed
- Individual taxpayers unable to meet the July 15 due date can request an automatic extension of time to file until Oct. 15
- The IRS reminds taxpayers filing Form 1040 series returns that they must file Form 4868 by July 15 to obtain the automatic extension to Oct. 15
- The extension provides additional time to file the tax return – it is not an extension to pay any taxes due
- The IRS urges people who owe taxes, even if they have a filing extension, to carefully review their situation and pay what they can by July 15 to avoid penalties and interest
- More information, including how to obtain an extension of time to file and payment options, is available here: News Release 2020-134.
- Taxpayers need to be on the lookout for calls and email phishing attempts about Coronavirus. These contacts can lead to tax-related fraud and identity theft. Taxpayers should watch out for calls, emails, text messages, websites and social media attempts that request money or personal information. For more information on Coronavirus-related or other phishing attempts please click here.
Disclaimer: This webpage shares information, email addresses and links to other sites or entities on the Internet that are not maintained by Senator Baldwin. Resources, email addresses and links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Senator Baldwin of any of the products, services or opinions of the entity or organization or individual. Senator Baldwin bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.